Ryder Cup builds on De Boer's golfing reputation
26 August 2010Ryder Cup – one of the most prestigious events in the world sporting calendar.
Double Deck Delta
Hampered by wet weather, the De Boer team nevertheless scored a hole in one when they craned the Double Deck Delta Champagne and Seafood Pavilion into place on Wednesday (August 25) at The Celtic Manor Resort, City of Newport, Wales.
Building work on schedule
Work on the project began at the beginning of August and John Cochrane, De Boer’s Sales Director – Events, said: “In spite of heavy rain the De Boer crew are making excellent headway and keeping to the schedule. We are making very good progress.”
This is the fifth successive time De Boer has been appointed to supply temporary accommodation for the European leg of the world-famous Ryder Cup. The biennial transatlantic contest sees the golfing giants of the United States pitted against their European rivals. This year’s event, which will be held from October 1-3 at The Celtic Manor Resort, will see the European team – led by Captain Colin Montgomerie – battle to regain the trophy following the United States’ victory on home soil at Valhalla in 2008.
Joining the golfing giants for the first time on Welsh soil, De Boer will be unveiling a giant of its own with the mighty Emperor, a stunning 25-metre-by-60-metre fully glazed structure. With its unique cantilevered canopy and terrace the Emperor makes a huge visual impact. The innovative, glue-laminated, wood-framed structure will form The Ryder Cup Travel Services and International Pavilion and will offer spectacular views across the first fairway.
Visually striking structure
Edward Kitson, Ryder Cup Match Director, said: “The Emperor offered a visually striking facility in Ireland in 2006, and we are delighted it will again be in place at The Celtic Manor Resort in 2010. Temporary structures play a key part in providing public and hospitality facilities at major golf tournaments, and De Boer has been a great supporter of both The European Tour and The Ryder Cup for many years.”
De Boer has acted as a temporary structure supplier to Europe’s hosting of The Ryder Cup on four previous occasions – at The Belfry in Sutton Coldfield, England, in 1993 and 2002, Valderrama in Spain in 1997 and The K Club in Ireland in 2006.
For The 2010 Ryder Cup, which will mark the first time Wales has hosted the event, the Brackley-based company will provide facilities across a specially created Ryder Cup Tented Village.
These will include public catering areas, merchandising facilities, an exhibition space, information centre, Ryder Cup Bar and Champagne and Seafood Bar, using structures which include De Boer’s highly versatile Delta and Double-Decker Delta structures.
Iconic sporting fixture
John Cochrane added: “The Ryder Cup remains one of the iconic fixtures on the sporting calendar, attracting huge interest worldwide.”
The Ryder Cup is one of many golfing tournaments to be supplied by De Boer. The structure specialist has previously provided temporary accommodation to events including the Volvo Masters, the Johnnie Walker Championship, the Solheim Cup, The Senior British Open, the KLM Open and the World Golf Championships – American Express Championship.
- De Boer supports Centrepoint’s Winter Whites Gala as Prince William takes centre stage
- De Boer delivers for 40th anniversary of leading oil industry exhibition
- De Boer hits a high note at The National Eisteddfod of Wales
- De Boer back in action as London celebrates Sainsbury’s Anniversary Games
- De Boer Structures tees off at top UK golf events
- De Boer zooms into the fast lane with a hot new Citroën at Goodwood Festival of Speed
- De Boer Structures hits all the right notes at Barclaycard presents British Summer Time Hyde Park
- De Boer hits a high note with stunning country house opera auditorium
- De Boer’s cool Floral Marquee blossoms at RHS Hampton Court Palace Flower Show
- De Boer creates stunning venue for charity dinner headlined by Gary Barlow
- De Boer serves up an ace at Wimbledon with Detail’s new-look Gatsby Club
- De Boer Creates RHS Chelsea Flower Show’s Centenary ‘Great Pavilion’
- De Boer provides New College Oxford with a temporary dining hall
- De Boer’s high-speed emergency response to Lytchett Minster's devastating fire
- De Boer team don decorated bras for marathon Moonwalk charity challenge
- De Boer structures played a key role at London 2012 Olympics