Festival organisers call on De Boer’s temporary accommodation
27 October 2011
The company’s list of 2011 assignments has included many of the capital’s headline gigs – including Hard Rock Calling and Wireless – as well as one-off concerts and the stunning Isle of Wight Festival.
De Boer has also shown that temporary structures have a key role to play away from the worlds of rock and pop – thanks to an impressive performance by the company at the National Eisteddfod of Wales, one of the world’s best-known cultural gatherings combining literature, music, dance, theatre and the visual arts.
This year’s Hard Rock Calling and Wireless – both held in London’s Hyde Park – saw De Boer strengthening an existing relationship with industry-leading organiser Live Nation.
Production and events
Hannah Farnham, Live Nation’s Head of Production and Events, explained: “De Boer has worked with us in Hyde Park for about six years now and every year the brief changes and becomes more demanding.”
She added: “The team at De Boer always react brilliantly to our needs and make our complicated site just a little less complicated!”
Network of facilities
For the Hyde Park assignments the temporary structure specialist was given just seven days to construct a fantastic network of facilities including two VIP areas with a mock English pub in both of them, hospitality suites, bar areas, outside decking, crew catering, artists’ area, media centre, merchandising outlets, production office and first-aid tent.
Kate Morrison, Key Accounts Manager at De Boer, said: “Live Nation is a long-term client and we have built up an extremely good relationship with them over the years, anticipating their needs and meeting the challenges they throw at us year after year. The festivals get better and better and we are very proud to help them provide the facilities they need to make these concerts such a fabulous success.”
The back- to-back concerts in Hyde Park kicked off with a return visit by iconic rockers Kings of Leon. Drummer Nathan Followill took to twitter to describe the band’s final Hyde Park gig as “the best night of my life”.
Then The Killers headlined for the first day of Hard Rock Calling as the festival celebrated its 40th anniversary. The weekend proved to be a vintage year as Grammy-award-winning rockers Bon Jovi headlined with a three-hour set on Saturday. The following day living legend Rod Stewart took to the stage.
Kate Morrison said: “We used mainly A-frame structures and there were about eight on each side of the site. They were then left in place for the Arcade Fire concert in the park before forming the backdrop to Wireless.”
As one of the UK’s biggest music festivals, Wireless boasted headlining acts including global mega stars The Black Eyed Peas, dance gods The Chemical Brothers and ’90s Britpop legends Pulp.
Stunning VIP facility
De Boer also created a stunning VIP facility earlier in the summer at the Isle of Wight festival which celebrated its tenth anniversary. The event has become one of the most popular in the music calendar with over 250,000 people attending.
Main event arena
Meanwhile around 160,000 people attended this year’s National Eisteddfod of Wales, which was staged in and around Wrexham. As a long-time supplier to the world-famous gathering, De Boer provided organisers with key facilities including the main event arena, competition venues, theatre, exhibition space and performers’ areas.
- De Boer returns to KLM Open
- De Boer primed and ready for its 22nd PSP Southampton Boat Show
- De Boer provides structure for temporary opera house
- De Boer builds UK's largest mosque
- De Boer collaborates with Rolls Royce, Getty Images and Wormsley Cricket Ground for photographic exhibition
- De Boer provides structures for Ladies European Masters
- De Boer provides structure for floral marquee at RHS Hampton Court Palace Flower Show
- De Boer UK completes build of Keith Prowse’s Gatsby Club at The Championships, Wimbledon
- De Boer UK welcomes new commercial sales manager
- De Boer prepares to tee off at Gleneagles
- De Boer begins build on their 10th Farnborough International Airshow
- De Boer Great Pavilion at RHS Chelsea Flower Show Infographic
- De Boer goes pink for The MoonWalk London
- De Boer provides central structure for RHS Chelsea Flower Show
- De Boer claims 'Recycling On Ice' title
- De Boer supports Centrepoint’s Winter Whites Gala as Prince William takes centre stage