De Boer team prepares for massive charity challenge
3 May 2011
MoonWalk London challenge
The female colleagues are preparing to power-walk their way through the streets of the capital on May 14 during the annual MoonWalk London spectacular, which raises funds to tackle breast cancer.
Wide range of structures
Their marathon effort comes as De Boer once again provides a wide range of structures to the event, which was launched by charity Walk the Walk 13 years ago. De Boer’s accommodation will be erected in Hyde Park, where participants assemble ahead of the challenge.
Around 15,000 people – the vast majority of them women – tackle the walk each summer, with the option of selecting a full marathon distance of 26.2 miles or a half-marathon. The event takes place through the night and sees participants completing the challenge wearing Walk the Walk’s trademark decorated bras.
De Boer team
Two of the De Boer team – Maria Perry and Katie Russell – have set their sights on the full marathon distance while colleagues Kate Morrison and Sarah Chamberlain are due to tackle the 13.1-mile course. For Sarah there will be the added challenge of being seven months pregnant at the time of the walk!
Support for client
De Boer Key Accounts Manager Kate Morrison, who oversees the MoonWalk build process on behalf of the structure company, said: “De Boer has been working with Walk the Walk on each MoonWalk since 2005 so we’ve come to know the charity and its team really well. Having put the structures in place for each event, it’s great that four of us will now be able to add our support by raising money as well.”
MoonWalk London now forms just one of many challenges organised each year by Walk the Walk. Since being established in 1996, the charity has created events across the UK and has teams taking part in many international locations as diverse as Holland, Peru, Iceland and the US. In total more than £68m has been raised towards combating breast cancer.
Variety of structures
De Boer provides Walk the Walk with a broad range of structures for MoonWalk London. These are used for purposes that include a medical centre, baggage stores, information kiosks, kitchen, merchandising unit and media facilities.
Huge Pink Galaxy
However the most striking structure is the huge Pink Galaxy – measuring 152 metres by 60 metres – which was created by De Boer five years ago in the charity’s vivid pink corporate colour. It has since been used at the MoonWalk each year, as well as for a similar event staged by Walk the Walk annually in Edinburgh.
- De Boer provides structures for Ladies European Masters
- De Boer provides structure for floral marquee at RHS Hampton Court Palace Flower Show
- De Boer UK completes build of Keith Prowse’s Gatsby Club at The Championships, Wimbledon
- De Boer UK welcomes new commercial sales manager
- De Boer prepares to tee off at Gleneagles
- De Boer begins build on their 10th Farnborough International Airshow
- De Boer Great Pavilion at RHS Chelsea Flower Show Infographic
- De Boer goes pink for The MoonWalk London
- De Boer provides central structure for RHS Chelsea Flower Show
- De Boer claims 'Recycling On Ice' title
- De Boer supports Centrepoint’s Winter Whites Gala as Prince William takes centre stage
- De Boer delivers for 40th anniversary of leading oil industry exhibition
- De Boer hits a high note at The National Eisteddfod of Wales
- De Boer back in action as London celebrates Sainsbury’s Anniversary Games
- De Boer Structures tees off at top UK golf events
- De Boer zooms into the fast lane with a hot new Citroën at Goodwood Festival of Speed
- De Boer Structures hits all the right notes at Barclaycard presents British Summer Time Hyde Park